Tuesday, June 2, 2015

May Reads 2015

It's starting to look like a general trend, maybe monthly wrap ups will be my thing now. The truth is, I know I should blog more, but it does take away time that could be spent reading.
Oh well, c'est la vie!

Here's a quick run down of what I read in May:


Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (Necromancer, #1) Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch After the War is Over The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks
 
  1. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride: This was enjoyable, but I was expecting more. It was certainly humorous, but not nearly as funny as the reviws led me to believe. I gave it 4 stars, but it was really a 3.
  2. Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman: I loved this, the dry English humor was just spot on. I love Neil Gaiman and there were a number of instances where I convinced myself I could just tell which lines were his. It was my first Pratchett read, and it has me excited to go back and read a Discworld novel or two.
  3. After the War is Over by Jennifer Robson: This book was meh, just ok for me. I gave it three stars because it was enjoyable enough to pass the time on the long morning train ride for a few days. I've heard her previous book, Somewhere in France, is better, but I'm in no rush to get to it.
  4. The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs: I gave this one 3 stars, because it was cute and the author is from my hometown (Toronto!). A lot of the parts I sort of skimmed over, this book it basically a handbook for "how to geek", and I didn't really need an explanation about what Superwholock is, but Kat Stark's review perfectly sums up all the issues I had with it, and also shed some light on a few I didn't think of at the time. I did, however, really enjoy the fact that she included a whole section on feminism and where to look for awesome female characters (the best part of the book frankly).

What I plan to read in June:

I've actually got a number of books on my "Currently Reading" shelf and I'd like to clear some of them out before I pick up anything new. June's going to be a catch up month for me.
 
  1. I've been reading Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax, it's a really fascinating non-fic about guys in my generation and how they have lost a lot of the maturity, motivation, and drive that guys had even 30 years ago (think video games, ADD, failure to launch, etc.). I'm a slow non-fiction reader, but have plans to finish it this week.
  2. Emma and Persuasion by Jane Austen: I started both of these early in the year and set them both aside for some reason. I had big plans to read all of Austen's novels this year. Hopefully, I'll get through these this month and I'll be back on track.
  3. Allegiant by Veronica Roth: I started this book well over a year ago, and I've been struggling with DNF'ing it. I feel like I should because it's awful, but I hate DNF'ing books. It's crazy, I know. I'll make a deal with you reader, if I don't read this this month it will officially be DNF'ed. Check in with me. Hold me accountable. Please.
  4. Omens by Kelley Armstrong: I have loved some of Armstrong's books, and have been "not so crazy" about others.  This one is a cheat, not exactly a "current read" but my mom pushed it on me and she wants it returned so I'm going to read it. The rest of my "current" reads, will have to wait until July (I'm talking to you, Dickens and Tolkien).
So that's that. Hopefully I'll get through (at least) these 5 books in June and maybe even I'll whip through a few graphic novels. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my weekends open.

1 comment:

  1. Only blog when you want to! No reason to feel bad about it.

    Boys Adrift sounds suuuuper interesting. I'm a really slow nonfiction reader too, so it's scary for me to even think about starting one. But this one sounds worth it. Looking forward to seeing what you think, and have a great June!

    ReplyDelete