Monday, June 8, 2015

It's Monday, what are you reading? (June 8, 2025)

Boys Adrift: The Five Factors Driving the Growing Epidemic of Unmotivated Boys and Underachieving Young Men Emma Omens (Cainsville, #1)
 
I've decided to try my hand at this series (created by Shannon of River City Reading), I think I can commit to at least a once a week check-in. I'm hoping to keep myself on track this summer instead of letting this blog fall to the wayside, as tends to happen during the lazy summer months, so I think this will be quite a help.
 
I can't believe it's already the second week of June, half way through the year and I am exactly on track with my 2015 Goodreads goal being 50% complete (blatant self-congratulation here).
 
Last week, I finished Boys Adrift, which I really enjoyed. I found it an incredibly fascinating and insightful look at boys and men in my generation, why they have been lagging behind, and what can be done to improve the situation. I find that I have such a hard time reviewing non-fiction, I'm not sure why that is exactly, and I'm not all that interested in looking deeper to figure out why that might be, so Here is my ultra-mini review on Goodreads. Bottom line: I liked it, you should read it.
 
I'm currently reading Omens by Kelley Armstrong, which I mentioned in my May Wrap-Up post. I'm only three chapters in, I had a busier weekend than I planned so I didn't get much (any) reading done. I used to really love Kelley Armstrong's books, but it's been a while since I've found a new series of hers that I really enjoyed, I'm hoping the Cainsville series can turn that around. I enjoyed Bitten, but quickly lost interest in the rest of the Women of the Otherworld series, which makes me think I mostly just liked the tv show (hello eye candy). I did enjoy the Darkest Powers trilogy (her first YA series), but hated severely disliked her follow-up/spin-off trilogy Darkness Rising. Like I said, I'm hoping that the Cainsville series can reignite my old love of Kelley Armstrong, fingers crossed on this one, as I've heard good things.  
 
I'm also still in the early chapters of Emma, and I'm hopeful I'll get through it by the end of next week. I keep telling myself that if I get through it I'll let myself rewatch Clueless for the 8 billionth time. I'm way behind on all of my challenges (Back to the Classics and 2015 TBR Challenge), so I'm hoping with Emma I'll get to cross at least one book off each list (I don't think this counts as cheating). This is my first year participating in either challenge, so I'm aiming for success (and being optimistic).

What are you reading?

 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Yay, I'm glad you're doing It's Monday! Though, for the record, I'm pretty sure Sheila of bookjourney.net started it. People used to link up over there, but she stopped doing it. Shannon is definitely a very regular Monday poster though!
    I fall behind on reading in the summer too. It's super hard not to! It's Monday posts really do help. Congrats on being 50% done with your challenge. And thanks for getting me into Boys Adrift!

    ReplyDelete