Saturday, January 3, 2015

Classics Club Meme: December 2014

True to form, I'm late to post but here's the Classics Club meme for December: 
Let’s talk about children’s classics! Did you read any classic works as a child? What were your favorites? If not, have you or will you try any classic children’s literature in the future? (We’re aware children often read at an adult level. Please feel free to share adult OR children’s classics that you treasured in childhood OR children’s works that you’ve recently fallen for.) 
As a child I always loved books and reading. I was always being given books for every gift-giving occasion, like birthdays and Christmases. When I started using the library, I would check out books at random without paying attention to genre, or even author most of the time. When I first decided to try and explore the classics (in my teens), I learned to my surprise that, in fact, a lot of the books that were my childhood favourites were classics. I just had no idea. These are the books that I would stay up past my bedtime to read by flashlight, or lamplight if I was out of batteries. These are the books that made me want to read books, that made me want to write books. The stories that I never really let go of. Of course like almost every other 12 or 13 year old girl I attempted Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre, unfortunately they didn't immediately catch me (because I was to young to really understand them and enjoy them properly - obviously, others could, they just weren't for me at the time). It led me to believe that classics were "adult" books and that I didn't like them. I'm glad that now I can appreciate all sorts of classics and am striving to instill this same appreciation in my own children, in an age appropriate way, of course. My six year old, for example, adores Willy Wonka, and we're eager to dive into our next Roald Dahl. Hopefully soon we'll be able to enjoy my childhood favourites:

1. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

Peter Pan

2. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)

3. Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne

Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)

4. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wrinkle in Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #1)

5. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)

0 comments:

Post a Comment