Monday, November 24, 2014

Sci-Fi Month: Booktube!


I love BookTube. It is really, really great. Really. Before I started this blog I considered if I should go the Book-tube route, rather than the choice I ultimately made which was (obviously) old-school style blogging. Although I still contemplate (and sometimes fantasize) about starting a Booktube channel of my own, I just don't think I have the confidence to sit in front of a camera and share my face with the world and talk about some of the things that I am most passionate about. Something about the (semi) anonymity of the written word lends a sort-of safe(-ish?) feeling to blogging that I think makes it easier to share my opinions without worrying too much about mean comments. YouTube commenters seem to be quite mean and unforgiving but thankfully (SO THANKFULLY) there are wonderful, wonderful people out in the world who are braver than me and willing to share their wonderful videos on YouTube.

I have to admit that when I first started reading science fiction, I didn't fully realise that's what it was and I was surprised to find out that most of my favourite books were science fiction. You like books with zombies? You like dystopia? You like Sci-fi! I really have to credit booktube with my newly found knowledge because I wasn't really categorizing anything I read before - it was all just fiction. I also credit booktube with inspiring me and leading me to discover even more new-to-me science fiction titles to add to my ever growing TBR list. I doubt I'll ever reach the end of the list, and I definitely won't as long as I keep adding to it - BUT, I digress. What I really wanted to talk about was BookTube, and more specifically, my top 3 favourite BookTubers that focus (or talk quite a bit about) science fiction.
  1. books and pieces - Elizabeth focuses on sci-fi and fantasy, there are also really great discussions and hilariously costumes educational videos - I have learned so much from her.
  2. SFF180 - Thomas's videos are smart and engaging. He's super knowledgeable and doesn't necessarily focus on YA, so if you want to find out more about adult sci-fi and fantasy, check out his channel.
  3.  Ink Bones Books - Sanaa talks mostly about fantasy books but she does occasionally talk about science fiction as well and her videos are really well done, she always recommends books that I really really love. And is one of my absolute favourite booktubers.
Do you love booktube as much as I do? Do you have a booktube channel? Who are some of your favourite booktubers? I'm always looking for recommendations!

sfm_banner_02b


0 comments:

Post a Comment