Sunday, November 23, 2014

Readalong Wrap Up: The Hound of the Baskervilles



Hamlette over at The Edge of the Precipice was kind enough to host a read-along of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles and provided a few questions for the participants to answer:

Have you ever read any Sherlock Holmes stories before?

Nope, this is my first ever Sherlock Holmes read and I'm glad it was because I quite liked it.

Have you read this before?  If so, why did you decide to re-read it?

Again, nope. But I've wanted to read Sherlock's stories for a while and didn't know where to start. So this read-along was the perfect starting point to experience Sherlock.

At the end, Watson calls this adventure a "singular narrative, in which I have tried to make the reader share those dark fears and vague surmises which clouded our lives so long and ended in so tragic a manner."  Did he succeed in making you share them?

There was definitely a clear feeling of unease and general discontent throughout the book, I really appreciated the evocative language which made those feeling very clear. It wasn't as dark as I was expecting it to be but it was gothic. The moors, the fog, the mysterious setting made all the difference in this story, it created most of the feeling for me. I'd consider that a success.
Day 19, Character most like me: Sherlock. We are both unusual, not into social interaction, and really specialized in our skills and interests. We are both a lot more sensitive than we look, and have no problem with doing things outside the status quo. As a matter of fact, we enjoy it.
Have you seen any film adaptations of this story?  If so, do you recommend any?

Aside from Sherlock episode, no. But I do highly (HIGHLY) recommend it. I would definitely be interested in watching more adaptations, especially if there are good classic versions out there.

What did you like best about The Hound of the Baskervilles?


I really liked the writing. The characters and the eerie setting made this a perfect fall read. I also appreciated that I was actually surprised by the ending. I didn't expect that (it was different, of course, than the Sherlock episode), I guess I would make a terrible detective.

Was there anything in the story you didn't care for, or think could have been done better?


<3 SherlockI can't say that there's anything I really didn't like about the story, but I was surprised that Sherlock didn't have more of an active role in the plot for the bulk of the middle of the novel. I expected as that as the main character, his detective work would have been in the spotlight the entire time, which wasn't the case at all. That being said, I do love Watson, so I don't think I would change a thing. 

Have you read The Hound of the Baskervilles? Would you recommend any other Sherlock Holmes stories or adaptations? Please share!

4 comments:

  1. How did I miss reading this earlier? I do apologize. My only excuse is that I went on a big trip over the past weekend that consumed my thoughts for weeks, so I must have simply missed your link in the general blur. I'm sorry.

    I'm so excited that you chose my read-along for your first reading of a canon Sherlock Holmes book! What a treat! And how cool that you were surprised by the ending :-) I know I definitely was the first time I read it.

    I definitely recommend the whole Holmes canon! I think if you're interested in reading more, I would suggest you try The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes next, as all of those mysteries are stellar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! I'm only getting to this now myself as the entire month of December was sort of a write off for me blogging-wise. I hope you enjoyed your trip!! I enjoyed the read-along immensely, thanks again for hosting. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is definitely going on my TBR. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Our trip was great fun, thanks :-) I'm glad you're going to try more Holmes, too! BTW, I'm hosing a birthday blog party for Sherlock Holmes next week, if you want to join it -- you can find more details here. You're welcome to join if you like!

      Delete
  2. That sounds fantastic! I am definitely going to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete