Thursday, November 27, 2014

Booking Through Thursday (4) - How much do you read?

btt button
How much do you actually read? Few of us get as much time as we’d really LIKE for reading, but do as much as we can, so … how many books do you read? How many hours a day?
I would really like to spend all of my time reading (seriously, if there's a job out there for a professional reader, I am your girl); however, real life tends to get in the way of that. I take a train when I commute to work and usually read most days as long as I'm not too tired. Even if I don't get any other reading done that day, the train ride will give me about an hour and a half of reading time at the very least. If I'm lucky (ie. not too busy), I'll sometimes read for about a half hour on my lunch break. If I'm really really lucky (ie. my day wasn't to hectic), I'll get about an hour or so of reading in before bed too. At the very least, I always read with my children for about 20 minutes before they go to bed. Reading daily is a huge priority in our house. It tends to vary from day to day but an hour to two of reading is usually my average.

As far as how many books I read, that tends to vary too. It depends on a number of factors: the length of the book; how much I'm enjoying it; how motivated to finish it I am; even how good I think it is - the unputdownable-ness (it's a word) of a book makes a huge difference to how fast I'll get through it. YA books are usually really quick reads that I can finish in one sitting. Classics can sometimes take me two weeks to get through depending on the length and how much they make me really think.

I guess my long-story-short answer to this question is: it depends.

So... How much do you read?

4 comments:

  1. I'm kind of jealous about your train ride, I loved this summer when I rode the bus into work since I got about 45 minutes of reading in each way and didn't feel guilty :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I haven't heard anyone say they were jealous of my commute before, maybe I should learn to appreciate it more. :p Never feel guilty about reading time! (Sometimes, I feel guilty about how much time I spend on the internet, however)

      Delete
  2. Honestly, it depends on the day, the week, the mood. Sometimes I read all the time. Every chance I get. Other times, I will go weeks without picking up a book. If a book it really good, I will find every excuse to read so I can finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever taken long breaks from reading when I've been in a huge slump. Otherwise I always read at least a few pages every day. I find getting out of a reading slump is pretty hard for me most of the time. I'm trying to get in the habit of ditching books that aren't instant page turners for me.

      Delete