Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What's the word, girl?


Edison Incandescent Electric Light, 1887.    This is one of the earliest catalogs of the Edison Company.  The original is in the collection of the Canadian Centre for Architecture. The complete version is available online from the Association for Preservation Technology (APT) - Building Technology Heritage Library.  This historic archive contains thousands of catalogs of building materials.  Select your material and become an architectural time traveler as you flip through the pages.

incandescent adjective [in-can-des-cent]: white, glowing, or luminous; strikingly bright, radiant, or clear; marked by brilliance; glowing zeal/ affection (via)


Mr. Darcy: And... what should I call you when I am cross? Mrs. Darcy...?
Elizabeth Bennet: No! No. You may only call me "Mrs. Darcy"... when you are completely, and perfectly, and incandescently happy.
Mr. Darcy: Then how are you this evening... Mrs. Darcy? (via)

Every year at Christmas my mother gives me a word-of-the-day calendar because she knows I love words. What's the word, girl? Is a word-of-the-week series in which I share some of my favourites with you (and prove to my mother that I actually do love the calendars - thanks mom!) What's the word, girl? happens on Wednesdays, unless I say otherwise ;)
image via



0 comments:

Post a Comment