Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Were Difficult For Me To Read


  1. Insurgent - Veronica Roth - I try to finish every book and series I start and this one had a serious case of second book syndrome. I loved Divergent and found this book disappointing.  
  2. Allegiant - Veronica Roth - If second book syndrome is bad, I don't even know what to call this disaster. I struggled through the first half of Allegiant before giving up on it. My first DNF.
  3. The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy - This one was hard for me for a number of reasons. Although it had several lovely passages, I just couldn't get into the story. I did finish it.
  4. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare - I read this book while constantly eye-rolling it's cheesy predictable plot. I do try to finish every series I start, but had zero interest in finishing this one.
  5. Lord of the Flies - William Golding - I read this is high school and I can remember how hard some of the parts were for me to get through, some of the imagery stuck with me for a long time after finishing this one. I had dreams about the pig, it haunted me for weeks.
  6. Thirst - Christopher Pike - This was the series that turned me off from vampire books, possibly permanently. I constantly asked myself while reading, "why am I reading this?" But I finished not only this book, but the whole series. Because I used to force myself to do that sort of thing.
  7. Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood - I loved this book. Not while I was reading it, but after - it just sort of struck me that was really good. It's dense, and deals with a lot of thought provoking issues, but it's not a fun read. It was hard for me to get through and took me a lot longer than I thought it would to finish it.
  8. Before I Go To Sleep - S.J. Watson - I should know better than to read books about abuse and other trigger pulling topics, but I got this one as a gift and I thought I should read it. I did, but it wasn't easy.
  9. The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver - I did love this one. It was heartbreaking and soul crunching, and I cried over this family. It hurt to watch them fall apart at the seems, but I couldn't put it down. This one stayed with me.
  10. The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin - I struggle with non-fiction in general and this one was no exception. I used the 12-month project as an excuse to take a year to finish this book. Maybe that's what I was supposed to do? Either way, I didn't enjoy it.
Were there any books that were hard for you to read for any reason?



The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More FunThe Poisonwood BibleBefore I Go To SleepAlias GraceThirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood, and Red Dice (Thirst, #1)
Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Allegiant (Divergent, #3)The God of Small ThingsLord of the FliesCity of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)

0 comments:

Post a Comment