Thursday, September 11, 2014

Thursday Thoughts (1): Book Covers


http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iDealZlGlkU/VBEB6SON7aI/AAAAAAAABPI/4sdVcY9mcdg/s1600/Thursday%2BThoughts.pngThursday Thoughts is an original, interactive weekly meme created and hosted by Ashley at OK, Let’s Read. I’ve been reading Ashley’s blog for quite a while but since this blog is new this is my first Thursday Thoughts post and I’m really excited to finally get to join in. The topic for this week is Cover Changes. Personally I find it really irritating if I am collecting a series and they change the cover design (or the spine, or the size, etc.) midway through or towards the end of the series. If I am collecting them, I want them to look good as a set on my shelf – and I want them to match. And you know what, fellow book lovers? Publishers know this. Usually when the cover of the last book in a series changes, the rest of the series gets rereleased with the new design as well and collector’s will usually buy the earlier books to have a complete set.

Example:

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1) A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2) Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)

Rereleased earlier books:

Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)  A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)

Although I find it pretty annoying, I usually don’t go and buy an entire series all over again just because the cover is different. I have, however, bought different editions of certain stand alone books I already owned because I liked the cover of the newer edition better. Such as in this case:

To Kill a Mockingbird  To Kill a Mockingbird

And can we just talk about movie tie in covers for a second? I LOATHE movie tie in covers. Sometimes they aren’t that bad to look at, like here, but just in general, I always prefer the original cover.

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)

Finally, here are a few of my favourite covers; I hope they don’t ever change:

 These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) The Light Between Oceans The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

Stardust The Ocean at the End of the Lane I Capture the Castle

Obviously, I like blue.  A lot. How do you feel about book cover changes? How about movie tie-in covers? What are some of your favourite book covers?

0 comments:

Post a Comment