Thursday, September 18, 2014

Thursday Thoughts (2): Where Do You Read?

http://okletsread.blogspot.ca/p/thursday-thoughts.htmlThursday Thoughts is an original, interactive weekly meme created and hosted by Ashley at OK, Let’s Read. Each week there is a new book-related topic. Anyone and everyone is encouraged to join in the discussion!

September 18: Where Do You Read?* - Where do you spend the majority of your time reading? Are you the kind of person who can fall asleep reading in bed? Do you read in public? Why or why not? Where would be your fantasy reading location?

The short answer: Everywhere.
The long answer: Everywhere. Seriously, it's true.

I am the kind of person who has to have a book with my everywhere I go. I read in public quite often, mostly out of necessity. I commute to work and like to read on the train, so I always keep a book in my bag. I read on my lunch break too, whether it's in the office lunch room, at the park across the street or even at the Starbucks on the corner. Even when I'm not working I take a book with me everywhere. If my kids want to play at the park, I'll read at the park. If someone has a playdate, I'll bring a book along in case I don't feel like playing with the other mommies (which is always). I read every chance I get. I really love my kobo for travelling but do prefer the feel and aesthetic of a physical book, so I'll often carry both with me, and choose which to read depending on my mood.

Even though I can read everywhere doesn't mean I always want to. My favourite place to read is at home. In bed. It's comfortable, it's quiet, it's peaceful. I could read in bed for hours. It's a cliché for a reason - it really is the best place to read. As long as you aren't the type of person who falls asleep reading in bed. I am not one of those people, luckily. Or unluckily, because I am one of those people who can get so caught up in a story that I don't realise how much time has gone by and - boom - another accidental all-nighter. My bed has always been my favourite place to read, and it's likely that it always will be. This post seems to have devolved from "where I read" to "an ode to my bed".

As far as my fantasy reading location goes, there are certainly a lot of places I wish I could read. Most of which don't exist in real life. Hogwarts library comes to mind, or Belle's library, or in Narnia. But if I had to pick a real place? Probably on a beach somewhere, since I don't get to take a lot of vacations. No... wait, I don't want sand in my books. I've changed my mind. On a mountain somewhere, or in a tent in a forest. Or maybe the best place really is at home, in bed. Or under a blanket-fort, reading with my kids. Yeah, that sounds good to me. I'll go with that.

2 comments:

  1. We sound so similar - I'm an everywhere reader, always have a book in my bag too :) Belle's library, or Hogwarts, both would be amazing, but SO full of wonderful books that I'd probably be so distracted adding books to my TBR list that I wouldn't get much reading done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding books to my TBR list is one of the reasons I can't read in our public library!

      Delete