Thursday, September 18, 2014

Booking Through Thursday (2) - Family

btt button A weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading. Link up here.


Question:
Do other people in your family also like to read? Or are you in this on your own?


My Answer:
I have a pretty big family, which includes parents, step-parents, three brothers, two sisters, my boyfriend and of course, my two sons; and like in most families we don't all share the same interests. I am proud to say, however, that there are more readers in my family than non-readers.


Most of the women (except for my youngest sister, shame on her) are huge readers, not all insanely avid, but do love reading. The men on the other hand, not so much (coincidence?); my dad does read quite a bit, mostly non-fiction and business related books; my brothers - like a lot of other brothers out there, I imagine - prefer video games and movies to reading. However, my older brother did really enjoy the Song of Ice and Fire series, so maybe I should throw recommend a few epic fantasy books at to him and see what happens.


My beau wasn't a reader when we first got together, but lo and behold, the tides have turned - and now he loves to read as well (I may or may not take full credit for this conversion). We share a lot a similar interests and if I think he'll like a book, he usually does.


Finally, this brings us to my two boys. My first grader LOVES reading and always has, he's like a mini me. His favourites right now include Geronimo Stilton and Roald Dahl. My kindergartener is the exact opposite - he rarely sits still long enough to finish a story. But every once in a while something special happens and I have to take a picture to remind myself that such a thing is actually possible. And then I have to share it on Instagram, because it makes my heart happy and also it just makes me so freaking proud.


The JK'er Caught Reading

4 comments:

  1. More of the women than the men seem to enjoy reading in my family, too. I have a feeling that's pretty common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I do have a lot of male friends that are readers, but not many in my family.

      Delete
  2. My family is a mixed bag when it comes to reading. Some do, some don't. My kids are readers though. I'd like to think that's because I read to them from birth, but who knows!

    2 Kids and Tired Books BTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that has a lot to do with it. I read to both of my sons since they were babies but for whatever reason, only one of them caught the bug.

      Delete