Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Banned Books Week 2014 - Most Challenged of 2013

Defend the Freedom to Read. It
The American Library Association have released their list for the most challenged books of 2013. Here are the top ten: 

  1. Captain Underpants (series), by Dav Pilkey - Reasons: Offensive language, unsuited for age group, violence
  2. The Bluest Eye, by Toni Morrison - Reasons: Offensive language, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group, violence
  3. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie - Reasons: Drugs/alcohol/smoking, offensive language, racism, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
  4. Fifty Shades of Grey, by E.L. James - Reasons: Nudity, offensive language, religious viewpoint, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
  5. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins - Reasons: Religious viewpoint, unsuited to age group
  6. A Bad Boy Can Be Good for A Girl, by Tanya Lee Stone - Reasons: Drugs/alcohol/smoking, nudity, offensive language, sexually explicit
  7. Looking for Alaska, by John Green - Reasons: Drugs/alcohol/smoking, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
  8. The Perks of Being a Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky - Reasons: drugs/alcohol/smoking, homosexuality, sexually explicit, unsuited to age group
  9. Bless Me Ultima, by Rudolfo Anaya - Reasons: Occult/Satanism, offensive language, religious viewpoint, sexually explicit
  10. Bone (series), by Jeff Smith - Reasons: Political viewpoint, racism, violence
The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1) The Bluest Eye The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) 
A lot of these aren't surprising to me, such as Captain Underpants and The Perks of Being a Wallflower, as I've seen them on banned books lists in previous years; but some of them I am surprised about - who'd have ever thought that a John Green Book could be banned? I mean, come on, it's John. Freaking. Green. Golden boy of YA. Shock and disbelief must have been all over my face - quickly replaced by a very angry scowl of incredulity. 

A Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl Looking for Alaska The Perks of Being a Wallflower Bless Me, Ultima
There's only one book on the top ten list that I very heartily agree with - not only should this book be banned, but all physical copies should be found and turned into fuel Fahrenheit 451 style. I haven't figured out what could be done about the ebooks yet - maybe an incurable and deadly virus that only attacks books that are as bad as this one? Hackers of the world - get at me, there's plots to be schemed and schemes to plot. 
Bone
I'm pretty sure you can guess which book I am referring to. Yes, that one. And I'm sure you're already aware of the fact that it isn't the content I object to - actually, yes it is, I object to it all. Every last poorly chosen word. To clarify, it isn't necessarily the explicit content to which I am objecting (maybe in schools, but definitely not in public libraries) But rather the complete and utter crap that is the written work itself. I think we all know... 

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)

*Disclaimer: I never actually read Fifty Shades in its entirety, I did, however, skim it a bit and have read several excerpts that made me: snort, roll my eyes, gag, and break out in hives (not in that order). I tried but couldn't force myself my pass the first couple pages. 


***This is a late post - it was scheduled to post last week and I've only just realised that it hasn't happened. I guess I won't be relying on that feature***

What do you think of 2013's frequently challenged and banned books? Have you read and of them? Do you plan to? Inquiring minds (mine) want to know!


0 comments:

Post a Comment